The What Works website is designed for people working with children and young people. It has information and research which evaluates different speech and language interventions. It helps practitioners to see which approaches might be more successful for different children.
Although it should help any decisions for individual children, it will need to be used alongside careful assessment and knowledge of the children and their individual situation.
It's not designed specifically for parents, so does contain some technical information.
For other websites that provide specific information for parents on speech, language and communication and speech, language and communication needs, see:
- I CAN's Talking Point, - for information on speech, language and communication
- Afasic, www.afasic.org.uk - for information and support on specific language impairment (SLI)
- 1Voice - Communicating Together, www.1voice.info - for parental support and information on augmentative and alternative communication (AAC)
- Contact a Family, www.cafamily.org.uk - is a national charity that exists to support the families of disabled children whatever their condition or disability.
- Parent Partnership Services, www.parentpartnership.org.uk -
offer advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs (SEN). The National Parent Partnership Network (NPPN) supports and promotes the work of Parent Partnership Services (PPS) across England and will point you to your local service.
Or you could contact the following helplines:
- I CAN, 0207 843 2544.
- Afasic, 0845 3 55 55 77.
- Contact a Family, 0808 808 3555.
- The Autism Helpline run by the National Autistic Society, provides impartial, confidential information, advice and support for people with autism spectrum disorders and their families and carers, 0808 800 4104.
- The BSA Helpline run by the British Stammering Association is a confidential service offering callers the opportunity to ask, talk about and explore any issues of concern about stammering, 0845 603 2001.